Note 9 - Common Stock
|6 Months Ended|
Jun. 30, 2023
|Notes to Financial Statements|
|Equity [Text Block]||
9. Common Stock
BBX Capital has two classes of common stock. Holders of BBX Capital’s Class A Common Stock are entitled to one vote per share, which in the aggregate represents 22% of the combined voting power of BBX Capital’s Class A and Class B Common Stock. BBX Capital’s Class B Common Stock represents the remaining 78% of the combined vote. As of June 30, 2023, the percentage of total common equity represented by the Class A and Class B Common Stock was 75% and 25%, respectively. BBX Capital’s Class B Common Stock is convertible into its Class A Common Stock on a share for share basis at any time at the option of the holder.
BBX Capital 2021 Incentive Plan (“2021 Plan”)
On January 18, 2022, the Compensation Committee of BBX Capital’s board of directors granted awards of 571,523 restricted shares of BBX Capital’s Class A Common Stock to certain of its executive and non-executive officers and 205,029 restricted shares of BBX Capital's Class B Common Stock to an executive officer of the Company under the 2021 Plan. The aggregate grant date fair value of the January 2022 awards was $8.0 million (a weighted average per share fair value of $10.34), and the shares vest ratably in annual installments of approximately 258,850 shares over three periods beginning on October 1, 2022.
On October 1, 2022, 190,505 shares of Class A Common Stock and 68,343 shares of Class B Common Stock vested at a fair value of $1.5 million and $0.5 million, respectively, based on the fair value of BBX Capital’s Class A Common Stock and Class B Common Stock as of September 30, 2022. In October 2022, award recipients surrendered a total of 53,552 shares of Class A Common Stock and 11,248 shares of Class B Common Stock to BBX Capital to satisfy a tax withholding obligation of $0.5 million associated with the vesting. The Company retired the surrendered shares.
On January 17, 2023, the Compensation Committee of BBX Capital’s board of directors granted awards of 412,912 restricted shares of Class A Common Stock to the Company’s executive and non-executive officers under the 2021 Plan. The aggregate grant date fair value of the January 2023 awards was $3.8 million (a weighted average per share fair value of $9.10), and the shares vest ratably in annual installments of approximately 137,637 shares over three periods beginning on October 1, 2023.
As of June 30, 2023, BBX Capital had 793,930 and 136,686 of outstanding unvested restricted shares of Class A Common Stock and Class B Common Stock, respectively. As of June 30, 2023, the unearned compensation expense associated with the outstanding unvested awards was $6.3 million, and the weighted average remaining service period for the outstanding unvested awards is 12 months.
Compensation cost for restricted stock awards is based on the fair value of the award on the measurement date, which is generally the grant date. The fair value of restricted stock awards is based on the market price of the Company’s common stock on the grant date. For awards that are subject only to service conditions, the Company recognizes compensation costs on a straight-line basis over the requisite service period of the awards, and the impact of forfeitures are recognized when they occur.
Share Repurchase Program
In January 2022, the Board of Directors approved a new share repurchase program which authorizes the repurchase of up to $15.0 million of shares of the Company’s Class A Common Stock and Class B Common Stock. The repurchase program authorizes the Company, in management’s discretion, to repurchase shares from time to time subject to market conditions and other factors.
The timing, price, and number of shares which may be repurchased under the program in the future will be based on market conditions, applicable securities laws, and other factors considered by management. Share repurchases under the program may be made from time to time through solicited or unsolicited transactions in the open market or in privately negotiated transactions. The share repurchase program does not obligate the Company to repurchase any specific amount of shares and may be suspended, modified, or terminated at any time without prior notice.
During the six months ended June 30, 2023, the Company didrepurchase any shares under the share repurchase program. During the six months ended June 30, 2022, the Company repurchased 15,782 shares of its Class A Common Stock for approximately $0.1 million, at an average cost of $7.69 per share, including fees.
The entire disclosure for equity.
Reference 1: http://www.xbrl.org/2003/role/disclosureRef