|3 Months Ended|
Mar. 31, 2022
|Common Stock [Abstract]|
7. Common Stock
BBX Capital has two classes of common stock. Holders of BBX Capital’s Class A Common Stock are entitled to one vote per share, which in the aggregate represents 22% of the combined voting power of BBX Capital’s Class A and Class B Common Stock. BBX Capital’s Class B Common Stock represents the remaining 78% of the combined vote. As of March 31, 2022, the percentage of total common equity represented by the Class A and Class B Common Stock was 76% and 24%, respectively. BBX Capital’s Class B Common Stock is convertible into its Class A Common Stock on a share for share basis at any time at the option of the holder.
BBX Capital 2001 Incentive Plan (“2021 Plan”)
On January 18, 2022, BBX Capital’s compensation committee of the board of directors granted awards of 571,523 restricted shares of BBX Capital’s Class A Common Stock to its executive and non-executive officers and 205,029 restricted shares of BBX Class B Common Stock to an executive officer of the Company under the 2021 Plan. The aggregate grant date fair value of the January 2022 awards was $8.0 million, and the shares vest ratably in annual installments of approximately 258,850 shares over three periods beginning on October 1, 2022. The weighted average grant date fair value was $10.34. The unearned compensation expense as of March 31, 2022 was $7.3 million.
Compensation cost for restricted stock awards is based on the fair value of the award on the measurement date, which is generally the grant date. The fair value of restricted stock awards is generally based on the market price of the Company’s common stock on the grant date. For awards that are subject only to service conditions, the Company recognizes compensation costs on a straight-line basis over the requisite service period of the awards, and the impact of forfeitures are recognized when they occur.
Share Repurchase Program
In January 2022, the Board of Directors approved a new share repurchase program which authorizes the repurchase of up to $15.0 million of shares of the Company’s Class A Common Stock and Class B Common Stock. The repurchase program authorizes the Company, in management’s discretion, to repurchase shares from time to time subject to market conditions and other factors.
The timing, price, and number of shares which may be repurchased under the program in the future will be based on market conditions, applicable securities laws, and other factors considered by management. Share repurchases under the program may be made from time to time through solicited or unsolicited transactions in the open market or in privately negotiated transactions. The share repurchase program does not obligate the Company to repurchase any specific amount of shares and may be suspended, modified, or terminated at any time without prior notice. There were no shares repurchased during the three months ended March 31, 2022.
During the three months ended March 31, 2021, 338,897 shares of the Company’s Class A Common Stock were purchased for approximately $2.1 million under the Company’s then existing 2020 stock repurchase program, which reflects an average cost of $6.30 per share, including fees.
No definition available.
The entire disclosure for terms, amounts, nature of changes, rights and privileges, dividends, and other matters related to preferred stock.
Reference 1: http://fasb.org/us-gaap/role/ref/legacyRef