Annual report pursuant to Section 13 and 15(d)

Common Stock

v3.20.4
Common Stock
12 Months Ended
Dec. 31, 2020
Common Stock [Abstract]  
Common Stock

16.    Common Stock



Common Stock



BBX Capital’s Articles of Incorporation authorize BBX Capital to issue both Class A Common Stock, par value $.01 per share, and Class B Common Stock, par value $.01 per share. Under Florida law and the Company’s Articles of Incorporation, holders of Class A Common Stock and Class B Common Stock vote together as a single class on most matters presented to a vote of BBX Capital’s shareholders. On such matters, holders of Class A Common Stock are entitled to one vote for each share held, with all holders of Class A Common Stock possessing in the aggregate 22% of the total voting power, while holders of Class B Common Stock possess the remaining 78% of the total voting power. If the number of shares of Class B Common Stock outstanding decreases below 360,000 shares but greater than 280,000 shares, the Class A Common Stock’s aggregate voting power will increase to 40%, and the Class B Common Stock will have the remaining 60%. If the number of shares of Class B Common Stock outstanding decreases below 280,000 shares but is greater than 100,000 shares, the Class A Common Stock’s aggregate voting power will increase to 53%, and the Class B Common Stock will have the remaining 47%. These relative voting percentages will remain fixed unless the number of shares of Class B Common Stock outstanding decreases to 100,000 shares or less, at which time the fixed voting percentages will be eliminated, and holders of Class A Common Stock and holders of Class B Common Stock would then each be entitled to one vote per share held. Each share of Class B Common Stock is convertible into one share of Class A Common Stock at any time at the option of the holder. The percentage of total common equity represented by Class A and Class B common stock was 81% and 19%, respectively, at December 31, 2020.



Rights Agreement



On September 25, 2020, BBX Capital adopted a rights agreement (the “Rights Agreement”) in light of the significant market volatility and uncertainties associated with the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact on the Company and the market price of BBX Capital’s Class A Common Stock and Class B Common Stock. The Rights Agreement provides a deterrent to shareholders from acquiring a 5% or greater ownership interest in BBX Capital’s Class A Common Stock, Class B Common Stock or total combined common stock without the prior approval of the board of directors.



Share Repurchase Program



In October 2020, BBX Capital’s board of directors approved a share repurchase program which authorized the repurchase of up to $10.0 million of shares of BBX Capital’s Class A Common Stock and Class B Common Stock. The timing, price, and number of shares repurchased will be based on market conditions, applicable securities laws, and other factors. The stock repurchases may be made from time to time through solicited or unsolicited transactions in the open market or in privately negotiated transactions. The stock repurchase authorization does not obligate the Company to repurchase any specific number of shares and may be suspended, modified, or terminated at any time without prior notice. There were no purchases of Class A Common Stock or Class B Common Stock under this program as of December 31, 2020.